Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Church Adventures

It's always a challenge getting the kids to pay attention to the sermon on Sunday. The one thing that can get them focused is when the pastor introduces a visual aid like tools.

This Sunday, the pastor showed 4 of his favorite cutting tools: a machete, a hand saw, a knife, and some hedge clippers. One of my boys, who up to that point had been playing "left hand beats up right hand" despite my "knock it off" growls, spies the implements of destruction. Instantly, his focus is on the pastor, his words, and the tools like an Atkins dieter on a bowl of potato chips on his first "cheat day."

As part of his sermon example, the pastor says "I'd like four parents to volunteer their six year old boys to play with these outside after the sermon."

It is, of course, a joke showing the absurdity of such a suggestion.

The joke is lost on the boy.

As the chuckles swell slightly, my boy says "Why is everyone laughing? DADDY, I'M SIX YEARS OLD! I'M SIX!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home