Sunday, May 21, 2006

When is Children's Day?

Returning from the annual “scramble to buy a Mother’s Day present with no idea what to buy”, one of the boys asked me when Children’s Day was. Oddly enough, I recall asking my dad the same question at some point in my youth….probably about the same age as my boys. My dad’s reply was a gruff “Everyday is children’s day.” That’s it. That was all he said. The apple not having fallen far from the tree, I started to give the same reply. But before I said it, I realized that I had no clue what my dad meant when he said that. So I set my mind to wondering…….

 

And now, I think I know what he meant.

 

Parents make sacrifices, every day, for their children. Sometimes willingly, sometimes begrudgingly, sometimes without even realizing it, we (parents) do without things because we love our children. Perhaps it’s living in a less expensive house so one parent can stay home…….or playing less golf on the weekends in order to take them to the park….or driving that paid off car a few more years to put more money in their college funds…..or stepping off the career fast-track to be home for dinner every night…..or not going out with friends because you’ve had several late nights at work this week……or not spending Sunday watching football because they want you to spend time playing with them……or spending money on swim lessons, dance lessons, soccer, or baseball instead of buying that new set of clubs. 

 

I believe THAT is what my dad meant all those years ago.

 

So happy Children’s Day, my son.

 

Today, tomorrow, and until I leave this earth.

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home